Monday, November 5, 2012

Halloween FOs

Now that it's no longer seasonally appropriate, here's what I made that was Halloween-themed this year:

Pattern: Spider to Web Bookmark (Ravelry mine)
Yarn: New Hisuji-chan, Japanese yarn in white and some Wool of the Andes in Cloud when I ran out
Hook: USE/3.5 mm
Timeframe: October 1 - 30, 2012
Mods: None.
Problems: None, yet again.
The kitten liked it:

I also spun a bit in order to make a spiderweb. I thought an earlier skein would not be enough, so I spun more:

This seems to be the first handspun I've written up on my blog. I don't have a format for it! Let's see, important things:

Fiber: Undyed Correidale roving
Source: Copper Moose
Ply: 2
WPI: Ummm...didn't check. 16ish?
Final Amount: 22 yards, 11 grams and 14 yards, 7 grams
Problems: The first skein (on the right) was lovely, and I was surprised I got that out of my spindle. The second bit...not so much. It's not balanced (overspun, underplied?), it's tight whereas the first one has some loft, and I'm just not happy with it. Good thing it's going for a project where that doesn't matter!
Pattern: Spider Web Snowflake (Ravelry mine)
Yarn: Handspun, shown above
Hook: 3.25 mm/USD
 Timeframe: October 31, 2012
Problems: I don't love it, will need to re-block it in the future.

Pattern: Spider Web Scarf (Ravelry mine)
Yarn: Patons Bamboo Silk and a Coats Glow in the Dark Embroidery Thread
Hook: 4.0 mm/USG
 Timeframe: October 2 - 30, 2012
Problems: I'm not thrilled with how it turned out. It needs a brooch or something to keep it up - or maybe it needs to be made with acrylic that will keep its shape better. Something.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

November 1 Yarn

And for November, we have a downward trend again!


Saturday, November 3, 2012


For the Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet (and Weaving and Spinning) House Cup, we had a Quidditch Endurance challenge: Make 5 - 10 of the same thing. Didn't have to be the same pattern, but it did have to be something where you'd look at the pile of items and say "why yes, that is a bunch of _______." I chose washcloths:

That is 10 washcloths in 3 different patterns. I like the simple Tunisian cloths because they look nice in a vareigated yarn and have a nubbly side for scrubbing. They don't look as great with this mostly-white vareigated yarn as they did when I originally made them. Apparently I didn't post the old ones (did I make them before I started blogging?), so here's a picture:

I love, love, love how they came out, the colors merge so wonderfully, and they were real workhorses. I tossed them when we left Japan because while all six weren't quite at the end of their useful lives, they were close, and it would be a good excuse to make some new ones that went with the decor of our new place. Of course, the decor at the new place is more "Goodwill chic" since we're slowly redoing everything, know we'll only be here for 3 - 5 years, and have no idea what we'll be doing next. I got a large skein of kitchen cotton that I thought was okay, and used just about half of it for the ten washcloths I made.

First up, the simple Tunisian pattern. I made one, started the second, and realized that I don't love the pattern with this yarn and I probably wouldn't get all 10 done for maximum points if I used this pattern. It's pretty slow going:

Pattern: None (mine)
Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter
Hook: 5.0 mm/USH
 Timeframe: October 11 - 26, 2012
Mods:1st one was 31 sts, 2nd one was 26 sts - I guess my gauge is looser with wooden hooks.
Problems:Slow going, don't love how they're turning out.

Next, I stayed with crochet but used the cat cage blanket pattern for some washcloths. I liked the texture, so figured I'd try it out with these to see if it makes for good washcloths too:

Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter
Hook: 6.5 mm/USK
 Timeframe: October 14 - 26, 2012
Mods: CO only 15, work 'til square, hdc rather than sc border.
Problems: None!
For the last bunch, I wasn't sure if I liked the crocheted ones, so I tried another simple washcloth pattern that looked promising:

Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter
Needles: US11/8.0mm with 6.5mm/USK hook to cast on, US10.5/6.5mm with USJ/6.0mm hook for the first one.
Timeframe: October 14 - 26, 2012
Mods: Crochet cast-on, slipped the first stitch of every row, didn't make the hanging loop.
Problems: None!

I've used one of these already, and they make great washcloths. I highly recommend this pattern if you want a quick and easy small washcloth.

Friday, November 2, 2012

October Yarn

Yes, it's a bit late in the month, but here's the yarn chart as of 10/1:

A local yarn store was having a closing sale. Oops!