Monday, August 18, 2014

Best $10 I Ever Spent

Someone at Goodwill must have been mis-marking things the day I found this:


It's a fully functional (albeit old and in desperate need of a tune-up) Singer sewing machine with table and 100% of its parts. It has enough versatility for my needs and will allow me to do a couple of around-the-house projects I was planning to do. It's old enough that while it has a lot of options, it's extremely manual, with each different stitch type changed by using different disks that slot into the housing and five different dials that control the stitches. At first, I wasn't sure if it was going to work, but after a little bit of playing around with it, I got it going. It mainly needed to be run for awhile so all of the bits could get un-stuck.


My sewing stash has a number of things from my Grandmother's sewing stash. That included a few pillow panels (and the quick quilt you see on the table now). What better way to test and tune-up the machine than by getting those out of the stash and into use or the present pile?


2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I never find anything good at garage sales or thrift stores. Maybe they just stink in DC. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!