Sunday, April 12, 2009

Ikebana!

I have just joined the Ikebana (Japanese flower arranging) club! Every Wednesday, I will be getting new flowers to arrange, so we will have fresh flowers in the house weekly. It's a very good deal, and is a really cool skill to have, so I'm very excited about it. As I am a first year student, I get the first year student flowers, and have to arrange them in a very, very systematic way, which is good for me. Technically oriented flower arranging based on set angles, where each piece is some fraction of the next, based off of the size of the vase you're using? I can do that. This week, we had a couple of pink carnations, some yellow fresias, two branches, and a fern, very festive in a spring and Easter way. It's looking a little beat up at this point, from carrying it home and resetting it here after arranging it at school, but the flowers are more open:


I'm inordinately proud of myself for this. I keep telling Lee to go look at the flowers, another one has bloomed, or another leaf has popped out on the branches, but he's not as awestruck by them. Arranging flowers is just one of those things that I tend to put in the "I can't do it" category because it's just too artistic and not structured enough - but I did it! I tend to put painting, drawing, calligraphy, sculpting, and quilting in this category. I will be trying calligraphy, I start that on Monday! I'm trying to continuously challenge myself, learning how to do things I never thought I could do on my own. What better places to learn the arts of calligraphy and flower arranging than in Japan? And it ain't half bad, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!