Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Knitting with Wool

I was sick for a few days.  Went to work anyway, with a low-level fever.  I finally took a day off when I lost my voice and really wasn't in any shape to get in to work on Tuesday.  After sleeping for another four plus hours, I got up and decided to get something done.  There were papers to write, classes to plan, blankets to finish...

I knit a hat.  I also fixed the brim on Lee's hat since he didn't like the cast-on edge and wanted a fold-up brim on it.  Now they just need to be blocked.


This hat will be a part of my camping gear set and hopefully a really awesome warm winter hat.  To round out the camping gear, I'm planning to knit a matching ninja mask, basically making a balaclava that is in two pieces, more versatile.  The mask will work with a bicycle helmet and having separate layers will be useful for varying weather conditions while on extended hikes.


I swatched, but am going to rip out the swatch and start the mask using that end.  Probably not necessary, but there's no point in saving the swatch (I say now...) and this way I will only have one ball of leftovers rather than two.  I'm anal like that sometimes.


I swatched this time partly because this pattern is one of those fill-in-the-blanks with your own measurements and gauge and such, but also because I'm using a much larger yarn and am still hoping that it works.  We shall see!  Now onto the mask.  Yes, there are other things to do, but this is honestly a quick(ish) project that's been on my list for a bit and needs to be done by August, when we take the gear on a test run.  Better would be to have it (and one matching the brown hat) done by May for a five day bike ride, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!