Friday, April 24, 2015

To Dye For

A group I'm a part of on Ravelry is having a dyeing challenge this month. I had some cotton yarn that wasn't bad, but didn't suit me. It was originally a shirt that I loved, but the cotton had a bad tendency to grow width-wise while I was wearing it. Not flattering.

I frogged the shirt and wound up all the yarn (with a little help).

With input from my better-at-color-than-me husband, I went with Dylon's Ocean Blue to overdye the Olive yarn.

I followed the directions faithfully, mixing it for 15 minutes, then stirring regularly for 45 to ensure even coverage.

I honestly wasn't sure what I was going to get. I got one package of Dylon, and the amount of yarn I had really called for 1.5 packages. Since I was overdying, a light color was fine, and I could always re-dye if I wasn't happy with it.

The skein that wasn't previously knit seems to be a bit darker, but I'm happy with the result. The gold tones that weren't working for me are gone, and now it's a nice green. I'm still considering dyeing it again to make it a bit darker, but I think I'll knit it up and dye the final product if it's not to my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!