Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sidebar-Strangling Socks!

I've been clogging up the sidebar with multiple pairs of socks. Two of them I didn't even photograph before gifting, how sad is that?!

Thujas: I have made a million of these. Okay, maybe not a million, but ten, and six have been Christmas gifts. I don't have a pair of these for me, but I've knit two pairs for one person who loved hers and wore them out, and have been asked to knit a second pair for another person who loved hers and wore them out. By the end of this year, the Thuja count will be up to at least 11. Insane. However, the point is that four, count 'em, four! of the projects clogging up the sidebar are Thujas.

Two of them I just have images of the yarn afterward because apparently I did not photograph them before gifting, and as they were for Lee's boss and wife, asking for pictures is just not something I should do! All have the same general details, except that I knit the second yellow sock and half of the first with the new Addi Turbo Lace US7 I'd gotten, not realizing I was using a size US6 to knit the rest of the socks and just so happy with the new needle. It was great, went fast and was wonderful while knitting with such crappy yarn. The yarn saddened me; it was the only in-budget washable yarn I could find of the right weight, as they discontinued the yarn I'd used previously and apparently washable was not "in" when I went shopping. Yarn, not SocksThis yarn was squeaky acrylic, though it didn't feel bad on the skin, it was hell to knit with. I still have over 8 skeins of this stuff. I bought enough for 4 pairs before realizing it sucked. I shall have to bring it for the next swap. Two other pairs were kind-of Christmas presents. I wanted to make Lee a pair of house socks, though he'll likely wear them to work with his dark brown pants when it's really cold out, and I made another pair for his mother:

Pattern: Thuja from Knitty
Yarn: Blue and Yellow - Seria Acrylic Marble Multi, Green/Blue - Dream in Color Classy Beach Fog, Brown - Seria Acrylic
Timeframe: These take approximately a week each. The fastest was two days, the longest was a month as it was for taking a break between other projects.
Mods: None, multiple foot sizes.
Problems: None. Love this pattern so, so, so much!

Two of the other pairs of socks are work socks I've not posted because I've not gotten good pictures. I wear them fairly often, and the Hourglass ones are looking a bit worn-out, but they are good socks:

Pattern: Hourglass from Knitty
Yarn: Knit Picks Essential in Black
Timeframe: November 4, 2008 - July 15, 2009
Mods: Bunches. Changed the cuff to a 1x1 twisted rib, started the pattern in a different part of the chart, shortened the leg, lengthened the heel flap, and re-figured the stitch count for the heel flap and toes.
Problems: Yes. See this post for details!
I just can't get a good picture of these things.

Pattern: Nebula from Cookie A
Yarn: Knit Picks Essential in Cocoa
Timeframe: April 14 - August 3, 2009. First sock done quickly, second sock took awhile.
Mods: None, it was a test knit.
Problems: None. Love this pattern!

For the last pair of socks to clear up the sidebar a bit, I made a pair of striped knee-high socks in school colors for my sister in law. She's a freshman at a warm-weather college, so I figured while a scarf or other cold-weather things might not work, knee highs would, and hopefully she'd be interested in wearing them to school events or something:

Pattern: My own, created from multiple sources.
Yarn: Louet Gems in Burgundy, Old Gold, and White.
Timeframe: November 10 - December 15, 2009.
Mods: None, I made it up as I went along.
Problems: None, it worked quite nicely, I just hope they fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!