Sunday, August 28, 2011

Corona Progress

There's been a lot! This sweater has gone quite quickly so far, especially since the sleeves and body 'til now were great travel pieces and I've been doing a lot of out and about bus rides and such things. Also knitting while walking around UNESCO tourist sites:



Yup, that's the yarn around my arm (I didn't wind it into a ball) and the look on my face is me dropping a stitch while posing for the camera. D'oh!


At this point, the sleeves are attached to the body, so it's no longer a travel piece. Back to the penguin scarf for traveling, and hopefully I'll finish up the sweater yoke and collar soon! I'm really happy with the fit and length of the sleeves; this is the first time I've really made modifications to a garment, and I love how the sleeves came out. It's the little things. I'm not so happy with the fit of the hips. I didn't check the pattern schematic, I just cast on based on bust size, which was how the pattern was sized. It's supposed to be a tight-fitting sweater with 5" of negative ease, but the hips on the schematic are about 10" smaller than my hips. At least it's ribbed, but the ribbing is definitely stretched to the limit! I think it's not problematic enough to rip and re-do; while I might like it a bit looser, I don't hate it as-is and I'll just take that as a learning experience. I'm also not loving the yarn, at least not as an against the skin yarn. If the yarn were a better quality, I'd probably re-do it so I was really happy with it, but since it's not likely to be a favorite, I'll just let it be. Lovely color and I like the pattern and how it's turning out, I'm just not loving Cascade 220 and may not buy it again, at least not for against the skin garments. I think I prefer Patons Classic as my go-to widely available and relatively inexpensive workhorse yarn, though I'm sure I'll have more of an opinion when I've made the vest out of Patons that's next in my queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!