Sunday, January 9, 2011

First Nephew

I'm going to be an aunt, so of course, a lot of baby knits have been done recently.  I'm also sending off a couple that have been hanging out in the closet because they didn't get to their original intended recipients for one reason or another.  I hope my sister likes and uses everything - I'd much rather have the items thrown out after a time of hard use, irreparably stained and full of holes, than on a shelf and never touched.


Many of these items I've knit before, and the onesie was even seen before.  Things that haven't yet been blogged include the sweater that wound up going in with this package, though it won't be used until next winter:


Pattern: Child's Placket Neck Pullover (Rav)
Yarn: Three and a bit skeins of a very soft Japanese acrylic called Mamarm.
Needles: US7/4.5 mm 
Timeframe: January 24 - May 9, 2010.  Why it took so long, I'm not sure...I remember this one being quick...
Mods: None, if you don't count omitting the button.
Problems: None!

I really like this pattern and plan to knit the next size up as a Christmas or birthday gift for next year, in gray.  I already have the correct yarn, so I may as well use it!  I love this nice, simple sweater, and can't wait to cast on for the next one.  One more goal for this year is to knit at least two Christmas items per month - I've already set up my queue for the next couple of Christmases!
Everything else I knit has been something I've knit before, mostly because I still had yarn that was appropriate for the project.  I managed to use up all of that blue cotton yarn that was project-less as well as nearly all of the blue kitchen cotton.  Must knit more to use up more yarn!

Pattern: Sneaker Booties (Rav)
Yarn: Louet Gems in White and about 1/4 of a skein of Wister Color Palette in green.
Needles: US2/2.75 mm, DPNs
Timeframe: January 3 - 5, would have been only January 3 but I knit most of a pair of socks and did this blog post while procrastinating.
Mods: None.
Problems: None, except the strong desire to be working on other projects.

 Pattern: Modern Cabled Baby Bib (Rav
Yarn: Bernat Naturals Cotton - 3 colors, white, brown, and a Sugar-N-Cream blue (tidepool, I think)
Timeframe: November 20 - December 31. Each one only took a couple of hours actual knitting time.
Mods: I slipped the first stitch of every row and used a crochet cast on to start for a more uniform edge.
Problems: None!

Yarn: Thrifted DK-ish cotton from a sweater bought at Goodwill.
Timeframe: November 20 - December 12, 2010.
Mods: Few. I made the blanket square instead of rectangular, so did 10 total squares instead of 13.I also did a crochet cast-on and slipped the first stitch of every row for a nice border.
Problems: None really - a bit of annoyance that I could have used some of this yarn for the first one, as it obviously wasn't evenly divided, but not a problem.  I made a matching burp rag with three square repeats and the same garter borders out of the extra and had maybe a yard leftover.  Excellent!
I hope the wearables fit and everything else is useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!