Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Spirit of Things

Halloween's a'comin'! To get into the spirit of things, I did a test knit for Fickle Knitter Designs, a cute little bat ornament. This took me a few days, not because of difficulty, but because of teeny-tiny fiddliness. It's done in fingering weight yarn, and I was dreading weaving in all of the ends until I realized, hey, it's a toy and getting stuffed, don't bother! Something else I didn't realize until I was finished - on the backside, you don't need to deal with the colorwork, just knit it all in black because it's the back. Not a big deal, mine's two-sided.

You knit two little bats (full of yarn tails and rolling like crazy) and seam them together, and the seaming also takes a bit of time. Well, it takes time if you don't want to do it. I'm not a fan of seaming things for the most part. I love seaming sweaters simply because I like to make it look seamless from the right side, but seaming toys and other small things is just a fiddly annoyance. This is why I can't seem to finish the simplest amigurumi in less than a couple of months.


Pattern: Little Bat Ornament (Ravelry)
Yarn: Knit Picks Essential in Black, Brown Sheep Wildfoote Luxury Sock in White, Cascade Heritage in Red, all scraps from socks (future socks in the case of Cascade Heritage)
Needles: US1/2.25 mm, 2 DPNs
Timeframe: October 7 - 11, 2009.
Mods: I moved up the "face" on the back piece to see how it looks, but I like it better as written.
Problems: No problems, especially once I realized I didn't have to weave in all the ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!