Monday, July 4, 2011

Old FOs

I've had quite a few projects finished for quite a while without actually blogging about them. I do that too often.  Today, I'll show off the items I made for my sister and sent along to her way back in March. No real good pictures, I finished it and sent it off while traveling:


First up, three crocheted cakes. They were cute, I wanted to make them, so I did. For my sister who is getting married:


Yarn: Louet Gems in White, leftover from the kneehighs at the bottom of this post.
Hook: USB/2.25mm
Timeframe: February 28 - March 7, 2011
Mods: None really, used the same yarn for the "icing", made, decorated, and stuffed each top tier before the bottom tiers. Didn't have to weave in any ends that way, just left them inside, stuffed, and finished! Put a circle of cardboard in the bottom of each cake to help it keep its shape, might be a good idea to do that for all tiers rather than just one.
Problems: The pattern gives no gauge or widely available yarn options. Fairly well-written otherwise.


Next up, a square shawl intended for both Christening and wedding celebrations, as kind of an heirloom piece. Whether it gets used for both or neither, who knows, but I made it using stash yarn and a free pattern, so it worked out quite well for me. I'm really happy with how it came out:


Yarn: Knit Picks Bare Laceweight
Needles: US6/4.0mm
Timeframe: February 9 - March 12, 2011
Mods: Not really. Didn't have quite enough yarn as written, so modified Chart 7 and didn't run out of yarn. Was a bit of a nerd with the modifications, used Excel to figure out how much to modify based on the estimated amounts of yarn used and left. File available on Ravelry. Also wish I'd've modified the bind-off to a knitted-on edging, but would not have had enough yarn for one.
Problems: No real problems, but a couple of typos here and there (check Ravelry for corrections) and I also wish the pattern were a bit more consistent and polished. Easy to follow if you're familiar with lace and reading your knitting.


I do wish I'd had a better photo shoot with this one, but maybe it'll get a good one if/when it gets used. I love the center and the different lace patterns flow well together. I like the shorter waves pattern I made rather than the longer one in the original. I think if I were to make it again, I'd use more yarn but keep the modifications and do some kind of wave knitted-on border to finish it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!