Monday, December 21, 2015

Neon Ski Bonnet Upsize

I made a Neon Ski Bonnet.

You can't really tell in this picture, but it's a bit small. Very close-fitting. This yarn grows when washed, it just didn't grow as much as I thought it would, so now I'm re-doing it to make it bigger. It's made in sections, so I pulled out the sections that are too small, then the front cabled band needs to be made longer. Of course, I can't just keep knitting. See that part right on the top in the middle? The cable directions change. To fix it, I dropped down half of the cable, laddered it back up, then did the other side. It was faster and easier than ripping it all back and re-knitting it.

The first side went pretty quickly. I used two DPNs and a crochet hook one size smaller than the knitting needles (size USE/3.5mm) for fixing the stitches. First, I arranged the stitches at the cable cross the way they should be (crossed the cable).

Next, I laddered each stitch up the six rows, putting them on the next DPN to get ready for the next cable crossing.


I continued in this manner, fixing one side at a time, until all the cables were fixed. I considered using the Yarn Harlot's method for fixing cable mis-crosses, but didn't want to fuss with the cut yarn on a small tube or have it come undone on me later. Also it's the center bit, so anything that looks off would really mess up the lines of the hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!