Friday, May 27, 2011

Breakfast

Today's Daily Polish:


Sparkly! Because it's Friday and I can. Wet'n'Wild's 407A, the sparkly one. Yes, my middle finger managed to get messed up somehow. I'll live. My other hand is not so hot along the edges due to some burnt-on lamb-based gravy and steel wool. I generally do my nails over breakfast, reading a few pages from a book as well.

Secondary photo:


As (somewhat facetiously) promised, breakfast! This week breakfast has been a banana and a slice of cake, along with tea of some sort (Earl Grey today). I made a cake (Lady Cake from Joy of Cooking).  It was supposed to be cake truffles for a charity event, but my mind was addled and it never got finished in time. Could not focus to save my life that evening. So, I used it to learn how to make Swiss Meringue Buttercream and decorated it with a Sierpinski square fractal (cool site).  See:


Not the best decorating job, but you get the idea. I need a larger cake and a smaller decorating tip to really get a good design going on. I don't think I particularly like the Swiss Meringue frosting; it's not bad, but I prefer more solid frostings and have always loved decorator's frosting with 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp almond flavoring. Good for the repertoire in case it's called for, but I probably won't be using it too often. Maybe for macarons...it might be good there...hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!