Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Spinning Musings

 

Spinning is a cross between an art and a technical project. I've always wanted to spin my own yarn, in fact, it's kind of why I started knitting and crocheting, but I'm still on the fence about how much I like it. I'm not an artsy type and I need to learn more about the technical side of it (and go through all the fiber I own!) before I make any final decisions. I'm loving the way I can get into a meditative state when everything is set up well and the wheel is going, but sometimes it takes a few tries, multiple adjustments, and some colorful language before it's there. I'm not even to the point where I'm planning my yarns beyond a "wouldn't it be nice if..." and I can't imagine the kinds of frustration I might face when I'm trying to really plan and execute specific yarn for a project!


So far, I've got all the Magic Mountain spun into singles, then I started in on the first roving I purchased to let the Magic Mountain sit before plying. I'm really happy with how it's coming so far. I want to fill the current bobbin before switching back over to ply the Magic Mountain. My black cat is helping by keeping an eye on the wheel as I spin and nesting in the roving to keep it warm. That helps, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!