Monday, February 28, 2011

February Tally

Well, I didn't get anything done for the 12 in 2012 stash knitting group.  I did get one done for the LSG11ty group, which surprised me, but I also didn't get any done for Christmas knitting.  Instead, I knit nearly a mile on two projects from my stash that I'll probably finish in March, and a bit on my blanket.  However, my abysmal yarn total for this month (tallying the yarn I've used up) is mostly due to the fact that I really, really, really wanted to cross stitch, so I did.

When things get frustrating and crazy, I gravitate to cross stitch.  The methodical nature of it, the fact that it's something you have to pay attention to but isn't technically difficult, and the way the design just kind of appears on the fabric, especially once you add the backstitching, really calls to me when I need a calming distraction.  A lot of knitting just doesn't do that.  I think a fairly simple sock in some amazing variegated colorway might give a good bit of the same soothing relief, but I'd probably autopilot it while reading or watching a movie, rather than being enthralled with the colors.  I very much enjoy watching the yarn colors change, stitch by stitch, but it isn't something that grabs me and makes me sit down and concentrate like counting the stitches on the plain background does.  I usually have to be already relaxed to enjoy it, rather than using it as a relaxation technique.  Any knitting that makes me sit down and pay attention the way cross stitching does is likely to be a somewhat difficult and will add to, rather than subtract from, the blood pressure level.


So I stitched, and finished three ornaments.  Well, mostly - I still need to glue on a pretty paper backing and cut them out.  I was getting worried about catching the edges of the perforated paper and wanted to start cutting out the completed ones so I didn't royally screw them up, but the paper became more friendly the longer I worked with it.  Three (just about) down, 15 to go, three of which will be easily finished next time I pick it up.



For now, I'll be frantically trying to finish my socks so I can wear them and the lace so I can send it off when I'm in the US (and pay less than an arm and a leg for shipping).  Sadly, the probably over 3 miles I'll be subtracting from the stash in March by finishing these and the in-progress Christmas scarf will be lessened if not negated by the Christmas Knit Picks order soon to be added.  If only the embroidery floss was counted in my stash...actually, it's a good thing it's not - I'm sure I'd at least double the mileage, probably more if I counted each strand separately!


Right now, I have barely over 35 miles of yarn.  I went back and figured out what I had at the beginning of August to give me another data point in that long stretch between January and October.  I only finished the Aran Afghan between August and October, so I subtracted the yarn I brought back from the US and added all the skeins of blanket yarn to the October numbers.  I did the same but left in all the yarn I got in the US to get a September number.  I used just under three miles of yarn for that blanket - and my yarn total still went up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!