Wednesday, November 16, 2011

FO: Blaze

This one's been around for awhile.  I started it way back in 2007, thinking I'd have a nice fall sweater.  With over 300 stitches in a round for the yoke and lots of cabling every other row, this is a nice fall sweater...for 2010.  It's finally done, less than ten minutes before I wore it out to a nice dinner on Halloween, all decked out for the occasion! A year later, I re-did the cast-off (it contributed to the gapping) and had a friend take good pictures of it, so here, a year later than I originally finished it, is the official FO post!


Pattern: Blaze, 36" bust
Yarn: Peru DK Luxury in Orange, around 11 skeins.
Needles: US5/2.75 mm and US6/3.0, DPNs and Boye Interchangeables.
Timeframe: September 4, 2007 - November 1, 2010, with a 2+ year break when I left it in the US and didn't have enough yarn to finish it.
Mods: None.
Problems: None except the cabling takes FOREVER and I think the sizing is a bit off.  The arms are great, lengths are awesome, but I think the body stitch count might have looked better with a smaller size.  No way in hell am I re-doing that to fix it though!


I think that while I don't love the sizing, I'll still wear it a bunch, and this just confirms my inherent mistrust of circular yoke shaping.  If I stand straight, the back should be smaller than the front, at least for my body type, so standing straight up with my shoulders back, the back gaps.  I have the same problem with my Valencia, the back gaps a bit if I'm standing correctly.  Ah well, live and learn, and I shall continue to stay away from sweaters with such shaping, no matter how much I think they're cute.  I may do a Bohus at some point, but I have culled (nearly) all others from my Ravelry queue.


In ripping out the cast-off, it took me much, much longer than it should have to find the end. Plus for my knitting skill, minus for spending a long time going 'round and 'round the yoke! Then, I realized that I'd originally done a sewn bind-off for stretchiness (hah!), so that took a bit of time to pick out once I found the woven-in end. I also found a dropped stitch that I apparently didn't in fact bind off, so there's another plus with the re-do - that stitch would have been quite problematic had it decided to run later on, though considering how sticky and prone to felting this yarn is, it may not have been a problem.

A note on the yarn - this is my favorite yarn EVER and I would absolutely love it if the base could be found again. I think I had found it once, but have no idea. It's a very smooshy 70% merino, 20% alpaca, 10% silk yarn that I love, love, love, and would stockipile some in every color if it hadn't been discontinued years ago. Sadface!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!