Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My First Moebius

It's a test knit. I got to use some stash that has been marinating without a project for far too long, and was in fact some of the first lace I'd ever purchased. I learned how to make a Moebius, and did my first I-cord bindoff. That's the part I like best - it's a cabled I-cord, and I love it to death!

I also learned that the Boye Interchangeables set that I have is not good for making a Moebius. If I make another, I will be springing for either a super long cord for the Boye set (do they make those?) or a whole brand new for reals circular needle. First off, to get the cast on loose enough to go over the join, you have to cast on onto the needle and join, instead of needle and cable. This makes the beginning row a bit too loose. It's also a pain in the butt. I had to do it five times to get it right.

Once you finally have the (^&*% thing cast on correctly, you have to fight with it while you're knitting, constantly forcing the stitches over the join to get them around the cord. Not fun. As this was just a little 7" cowl, I stuck it out and got the job done.

I thought I'd be hating I-cord by the time I finished this thing, but surprisingly, it was finished before I was ready to be done! Amazing! Usually doesn't happen for me. I'm seriously considering diving into the lace stash to make a bunch more for Christmas for people. I can get about 2, I think, from a skein, and I have two colors where I used a good portion of a skein for something and have leftovers from that project and at least one more skein. I'm thinking one in the brown I used for my Wide Triangle, as that didn't even take up the whole skein, one in Knit Picks Shimmer, colorway Galaxy, as I've used about 3/4 of one skein for Betty's Scarf and will use 3/4 of the other for one for me, leaving about enough for a cowl, and then I have the other half of the skein I used for this one, and multiple other skeins of laceweight lying around...


Pattern: May Flowers Moebius, not available outside of the spinning club for which it was written as of yet
Yarn: KnitPicks Shimmer in Sweet Pea, less than 1/2 skein
Timeframe: March 9 - 18, of course 2-3 days of just waiting for me to graft the ends of the edging and block.
Mods: None!
Problems: Only with my materials; see above.

I don't think I'd be wearing cowls much, even though I love this one, because I tend to wear my hair up in a clip and/or wear glasses. It's not terribly easy getting cowls on over either, and I like my neck to be snugly warm, which you just don't quite get with a cowl. Fast and easy, so definitely present worthy! This pleases me greatly, because I hate scarves but want to be able to give interesting things to people. I think this Christmas, it may just be cowls!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!