Thursday, March 18, 2010

FO Round Up 1: Clogs

I've got a bunch of finished items that just haven't been blogged. Let's start with clogs!

I made four pairs of clogs for Christmas. Four pairs of clogs for others, and those two that are about finished for Lee and I, six in all. I had a bunch of Patons Classic Wool that I'd just decided to make useful things out of instead of keeping it around for a possible future blanket that likely won't get made while in Japan, and I've already used about half of the 20 skeins I was saving. Many of those skeins went for these clogs.

The first one was all Patons, I had a skein of gray and the 20 skeins of Taupe, obvious choice to start with.


Pattern: Fiber Trends Clogs
Size: Men's M
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool, 3 skeins, Taupe and Gray
Needles: US13
Timeframe: December 10 - 16, 2009
Mods: None.
Problems: Felting wasn't perfect, but I don't think with my setup it can be.

I was surprised at how well it felted. I have a front loader with no hot water possible, and this felted quite nicely for the most part.

For the next bunch, I put some puff paint on the bottom so they'd have a bit of traction. Two pairs are going to my grandparents, and I will not be responsible for causing broken hips if I can help it. I didn't do it for the first pair and probably won't for the last two, unless they prove to need it during use.


Pattern: Fiber Trends Clogs
Size: Men's M
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool, 1.6 skeins Taupe, 3 skeins of Japanese dollar store wool in gray, and a bit of Patons in gray because I didn't have enough Japanese yarn.
Needles: US13, US11
Timeframe: December 13, 2009 - January 4, 2010
Mods: None.
Problems: Felting wasn't perfect, but I don't think with my setup it can be, ran out of gray and used a slightly differently shaded one.

I found a good yarn at the dollar store to use, but it was closer to a DK weight so required triple stranding to match the Patons. With the triple stranding, I thought it was slightly thicker so went down a needle size to match the same gauge as the Patons.


Pattern: Fiber Trends Clogs
Size: Men's M
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool, 1.6 skeins Taupe, 3 skeins of Japanese dollar store wool in green, and oddly had enough yarn this time.
Needles: US13, US11
Timeframe: December 28, 2009 - January 4, 2010
Mods: None.
Problems: Felting wasn't perfect, but I don't think with my setup it can be.


Pattern: Fiber Trends Clogs
Size: Woman's M
Yarn: Japanese dollar store wool in pink and beige, under 6 skeins of beige and 3 skeins of pink.
Needles: US11
Timeframe: December 30, 2009 - January 4, 2010
Mods: None, though I discovered that spit splicing the two colors together works quite well since it's going to be felted anyway.
Problems: Felting wasn't perfect, in fact, the soles didn't felt well at all. They shrunk, but are still very ridged.

I learned that I should use the US13 with the dollar store yarn anyway, and this yarn makes for awesomely cheap clogs. I may just be knitting more next winter for those who didn't get them this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!