Sunday, September 20, 2015

Phoenix Mitts

Here's another one of those projects that doesn't work right the first time. Using nearly the recommended hook size (1.8mm instead of 1.75mm), the mitt was too small. I got almost to the thumb gusset before admitting defeat.


I was sad to see this one go, as it was striping so nicely! Using the next hook size up that I had (2.25mm) made it perfect size-wise and it had an even nicer striping effect:


But I ripped back again. Why? The pattern has you finish the thumb, then reattach the yarn for the palm. That would totally kill the patterning unless you spent some time figuring out exactly where in the pattern you needed to pick it up again and cutting the yarn to make it work. Instead, I put the thumb gusset on the other side of the mitt, away from the beginning of round, so I could continue with the palm. I then decided that the thumb would not have extra rounds - I tried going by the pattern, and that was too big. I tried cutting out a shell, and that was too small. The length is already fine, so that's where I'm leaving it!


Pattern: Phoenix Mitts (Ravelry mine)
Yarn: Unknown wool(?) gift
Hook: USB/2.25 mm
Timeframe: September 4 - 17, 2015
Mods: Larger hook, changed thumb placement, no further thumb rounds.
Problems: Detailed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!