Monday, November 3, 2008

Calorimetry: Journey to an FO

This was one of the fastest knits I've ever done. The most time consuming part was making the bind off edge look the same as the cast on edge, as I wasn't thinking of it before knitting. I use the backwards loop cast on most often, as I rather like how it looks. Sometimes an actual edging is nice, but I like how the backwards loop just kind of lets the knitting appear instead of giving it a starting border. As this piece is so small, I realized that having a matching cast on and bind off would make it look a lot better. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that would match it. I know EZ's sewn bind off matches a long tail cast on, and I did a quick search to find something that would work with a backwards loop, but it seems like it's the least used among those who want to match their cast on and bind off and doesn't really have one.

So, I cut a long tail and went about trying to match my cast on and bind off edges. Calorimetry has 120 stitches you are casting off, and in a worsted weight yarn on size 8s, I did not want to cut a tail three times longer than what I was trying to bind off. It would have taken forever and tangled quite a few times. I'm using Cascade 220, which is a wooly wool, so I can certainly spit splice the ends anyway to get the edge I want. I've gotten something near correct - it's not perfect, but I gave up trying to get it 100% right. Nobody will be looking at the edges that closely, and it's better than a normal bind off.


Final FO pictures to come once I get a button!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!