Monday, December 20, 2010

Down to the wire...

...and I go and do something not-Christmas-gift-related.  I spent an evening making washable pads.  Yes, those things.  I'm serious.  I'm that crunchy granola sometimes.


I've been wanting to make some for years.  I dislike creating waste, and like to find ways to make less of it. This may not be a world-changing act or one that will have a major impact on anything really, but I feel that it's a good thing.  Much more comfortable than disposable alternatives too!

 


I made them from this site.  I used some bargain-bin fleece, as the only other options were plaids with at least one stripe a shade of puke, and a towel we got when we went to some onsen or other.  My only recommendations are to use the zipper foot when seaming the outside and inside as well as for the topstitching, and to make the wings a bit wider.  Also be absolutely sure the snaps (if you're using them) are secure because that's just not something you want to be worrying about.  I also tried weighting the pattern and using my rotary cutter to cut multiple pieces at once, and let me tell you, that is an awesome, awesome trick for making things like this.  There are two fleece pieces each, so four total, and I cut them all out at once.  There are four towel layers each, and I was able to cut out all eight layers, using up pretty much the entire (very thin) towel, at once as well.  Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!