Friday, July 8, 2011

Camp Loopy Project Two

So. Camp Loopy, Project Two, "Hiking in the Mountains". Socks or gloves. I love socks, and gloves take me awhile, so I chose socks. They have to have cables - okay, can do. I love cables. I checked my Ravelry queue because it has a handful of cabled sock patterns. A few of them I already have yarn for, so they don't count, at least not if I want the final "prize", and many of the rest are full of twisted stitches and intricate cables, which look awesome but tend to take some time. I also didn't want anything too easy, or something that technically used cables but not traditional cables like Denature, and I was staying away from kilt hose or really any longer sock. After combing the queue (but not searching all of Ravelry, that would be a rabbit hole I do not want to jump down), I decided on Treetop Socks. These are knee-highs. What was I thinking? I will get the yarn on the 19th, since I'm sending it to my mom to save on shipping, and have until the 15th of August to knit up a full pair of knee-highs, while entertaining my mom and then camping in Hokkaido. A bit of travel time, but a pair of knee-high socks...? Difficult, but do-able. With my luck I'll finish the socks at the last minute but have no way to post my finished pictures!

Like this one, flowers:


What I should have done, rather than deciding to work on knee-high cabled socks, was to have checked through the pattern books I own, since I own both of Cookie A.'s books. I did not queue the patterns I want to knit from those books since I own them, but forgot about it. There are some awesome socks with cables, like Stricken or Kristi. Stricken would have been perfect, gorgeous socks, some awesome intricate details, but not too much, and lots of stockinette in between. Yes, that would have been a great sock to knit for this.

Flowers closeup:


Unfortunately, I already ordered two skeins of Cascade Heritage Silk, in Purple Hyacinth. Can't wait, will love the finished socks to death I'm sure, but I'm not positive that I'll finish them on time, at least not without really trying. I do have quite a few hours on some trains and planes coming up...and will hopefully have everything else done that should be done before getting the yarn...maybe I'll make it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!