Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Old and Well-Loved FO

I did a test knit of a snowman for Molting Yeti. The original pattern is for a stuffed animal, done in Worsted Weight and wonderful for kids during the holiday season. I'd made a bat for Halloween and kept it at work. Now, for the holiday season, a snowman ornament would be perfect, and I had enough fingering weight yarns in different colors to oblige.

In progress, it looks a bit, well, odd. Kind of like a deflated balloon. However, once stuffed and decorated, it's gorgeous! I left a long tail at the beginning (you start at the head) to use for hanging the snowman. It also worked quite well to keep the hat on - I threaded the hanger through the hat. I think for next year I may tack down the scarf, or at least sew it to itself, so that it doesn't get lost or fall off. I didn't have a problem with that except while transporting and the couple times I was showing him off. It turned out a bit larger than anticipated, over 5" tall, but he is really, really cute and perfect for a little bit of holiday cheer. I had both the snowman and the Santa hanger hanging on the hooks on my magnetic cubicle wall during the holiday season, and have only just brought the snowman home as it is 100% officially spring. I am now on the lookout for a springtime ornament to hang at work.


Pattern: Snowman (Ravelry)
Yarn: Brown Sheep Wildfoote Luxury Sock in White, Knit Picks Essential in Cocoa, Indigo Moon West Coast Musings in West Coast Sunset (scarf) and Turquoise (hat), Wild Fire Fibres Fantasia in a sock club colorway (nose), all scraps from socks (future socks in the case of Wild Fire Fibers)
Needles: US1/2.25 mm DPNs
Timeframe: November 3 - 15, 2009.
Mods: None, it was a test knit
Problems: No problems, lovely little knit, might make the full-size some day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!