Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Earwarmers

I was so, so pleased with this project! I had decided to make a replacement earwarmer headband for my Mother in Law, as that is her preferred winter headgear. After Lee and I found a pattern and purchased yarn, she mentioned that she was interested in a headband or something, and I did a little happy dance - perfect present! So, I got to work on the lovely headband. She wanted it snug, so I knit the small size tightly:


Yarn: Classic Merino DK in Black, Clover Foresta in Pinks
Needles: US1/2.25mm
Timeframe: September 16 - October 31, 2011
Mods: A few, did a row of K2tog with the cast-on to fold up the initial hem, mirrored the pattern rather than making the opposite side different, made a hem on the second side too.
Problems: None, except the final snugness.
 
And promptly realized it was a bit too snug, unless her head was a bit smaller than mine! I'm quite happy with my colorwork, but wow look at that stretch!

With the remaining pink yarn and a new skein of black, I cast on for the larger size. This one turned out much better, though if it were me I might want a bit more room than that even:


Yarn: Anny Blatt Queen Anny in Black, Clover Foresta in Pinks
Needles: US1/2.25mm
Timeframe: October 23 - December 11, 2011
Mods: A few, did a row of K2tog with the cast-on to fold up the initial hem, mirrored the pattern rather than making the opposite side different, made a hem on the second side too.
Problems: None really.

Much better, and the double layer of stranded colorwork should be extra toasty. I don't particularly like my finished hem (dark pink side) on either of these. It tends to roll up. The cast-on hem was fine, but I think I should have used a smaller needle after the turning row to make it behave better. Oh well, should still work nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!