Monday, August 22, 2011

Camp Loopy Project 3 - Field Day!

For the final project of Camp Loopy, you have to use at least 800 yards of yarn. I used about that much on my last project, grumble grumble, but this does give me a good excuse to knit a large-ish project from my queue! I decided that I wanted to keep it close to the 800 yard limit, because, well, summer's over at the end of August, I have to write exams for two classes, prepare and teach four two-hour classes, create a presentation for a conference, go to said (in-Japan) conference and present, and work on grad school/fellowship applications in that time. An intricate lace piece, clothing in any weight smaller than worsted, or (another) pair of knee-high socks are just not what I need on my plate right now. The same could be said of any new project, with my WIP count creeping ever closer to 20, but I've done the first two so just need one more to actually finish a knitting project goal/deadline on time and get the prize. Crap, I think I just jinxed myself.

Sticking to the not-much-more-than-800-yards rule, I chose to knit Corona (Ravelry), using Cascade 220 in Stratosphere. There were only three skeins of that color left when I ordered, so I changed to Blue Velvet. I chose this pattern because it's mostly simple, in the round, ribbing and stockinette, with a lovely cable panel along the collar that I will modify to be a full collar rather than a hood. I'm also going to lengthen the sleeves and keep the start of the collar high to turn this into a nicer sweater that I will be able to wear in an office setting rather than a spiffy hoodie.


I've cast on, and have a summer open campus where I won't have much to do, and may be able to get a sleeve done while the students and parents are in informational sessions. Really, I should have gotten one more skein of yarn to be sure that I'll have enough, but I should be okay with cutting out the hood. I hope.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!