Thursday, June 16, 2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Thursday got no polish, and Friday morning was just a removal and base coat. I brought the last two polishes, a clear topcoat, and a shimmery OPI gold for my trip. Hopefully I won't chip anything because I'm not bringing any remover, just planning to go over the colors for the 8 days to keep it all nice and fresh. We'll see if I end up blogging. Of course I'm taking my camera (this will be my first time in Copenhagen), but I'm not sure how much free and lucid time I'll have, or what kind of internet connection. As long as the jet lag doesn't kill me, the plan is to blog.
My rule of thumb for travel is to always bring one more project than you believe you'll work on, just in case one doesn't work out, you knit faster than anticipated, you have extra time or get delayed or other unforeseen circumstances leave you with more free time than anticipated. I have over 30 hours of airport/airplane/bus travel. I'm sure some will involve sleeping, but I'm bringing two larger illusion knit patterns with me for the 11 hour flights and the hotel room. I'll probably be knitting through most of the sessions at the conference - I'm the kind of person whose mind will wander unless I corral it, and a mostly mindless knit does the trick. For that, I have three pairs of socks (two Thujas, and I've already got that pattern 100% memorized) and two scarves, one of which is simple stripes for roughly two skeins of yarn (1/3 of the scarf). I've listed all that I'm bringing on the sidebar, everything between Mom's Ski Sweater and Rhiannon. Overkill? Maybe. However, I can probably get one Thuja done per day at the conference (4 days, all the Thujas), and I'll want a smaller project to pull out for bus rides, waiting at the airport, and the shorter in-Japan flight, which will probably be nearly all of Aham's Scarf. I'm also going to bring a small bit of yarn for a Cable Braided Necklace because it seems fast and easy and I would totally wear it with some of the shirts I'm bringing. Also a last minute packing impulse. I am impulsive sometimes.

My desktop background, for want of a better picture. This one is from our trip last summer to Denali National Park.

This almost certainly meets my one more project requirement, possibly two or three more, but I'm also going to toss in the Christmas ornaments cross stitch I'm working on, just in case I don't sleep on the plane rides, or at all during the conference, and knit the entire time. Luckily, I've finished the black Thujas so only have blank needles to bring with me. I may be bringing more yarn by volume than clothes to this conference. All my patterns are printed, I think I've got everything I need tool- and notions-wise, I've got reading materials, my laptop is packed along with an outlet adapter, my PowerPoint is pretty gosh darn spiffy and saved to multiple devices, the classes I'll be missing are completely ready to go - as long as I don't miss the first bus and set off a chain reaction of problems, I'm off to Denmark!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!